Why choose to have an interior designer?
We all have our own ideas of what we like and don’t like to be surrounded by in our homes. An interior designer’s role should be to help you discover the colours and textures you wish to live with. They most definitely save you time and can even save you money!
- An interior designer is trained to think 3 dimensionally, i.e. consider all the spaces as connecting elements in the overall scheme of things.
- Your choice of interior designer should be one whom you relate to and can communicate with effectively, I.e. they listen to your brief, listen to your ideas, concerns about specific areas of your interior design and know how to put you at ease in the planning & selection process
- It is important your choice of interior designer doesn’t end up wanting to impose their respective tastes and styles on you … you make the final decision!
- An interior designer can save you money and time! One almost needs a cut lunch, compass and standby search party as it’s so easy to get lost in the mine field of textiles, timbers, design terminology and a host of confusing but well-intended advice from family and friends.
- Your family are great at telling what you should have, and your friends
are great at agreeing to whatever your whims are just to keep you happy.Either way, you are going to end up with a mish-mash of something that’s simply not your taste, style or thing.
- The time factor really is a biggie. In today’s world of frenetic work, juggling family, fitting in committee meetings, grocery shopping and trying to find a scrap of time to even begin considering “what should go where,” an interior designer can sift through the thousands of fabric samples, carpet samples, paint swatches, furniture designs, kitchen & bathroom
fittings etc and present you with a story board of a suggested finished colour and textile scheme. Whether it’s from scratch say for a new home, or considering a favourite painting, furniture item or object d’art, it matters not. The point is that you simply let your choice of interior designer do all the running around and gather up samples, test pots and so on and present the story package to you! A mistake in interior design through not understanding the principals of design alone can be very costly and not necessarily easily corrected.
- A well-trained interior designer should have a good understanding of the psychology of colour and also be conscious of how different colours affect people’s responses.
- Finally your interior designer should be sympathetic to your budget…don’t be afraid to set one and stick to it! it’s no use having the most stunning interior in the street and you can’t afford to live! These days there are well-priced products available in almost every category of interior design fit-out and with clever imagination, flair, experience, knowledge and design skills, your interior designer should be able to meet your requirements.
I would be delighted to accept any interior design challenges you may have. Combining my husband Graham’s installation skills with my design flair anything is possible!